I went to the bank to withdraw $1000 from my account yesterday. I filled out the withdrawal slip and handed it to the cashier. She pecked on the computer a while and then told me that I only had $852.47 in the account. Now, we are living in a culture that says truth is relative. So she cannot really know what is really in the account. My truth is just as valid as hers. So I said, “Well that may be true for you, but not for me. Give me my $1000.”

So now I have to find another bank. Apparently bankers do not like dealing with people who are out of touch with reality.

Is truth relative? Many people insist there are no absolutes. What do you think?

To explore this question of truth, perhaps I should discuss three possible sides of the issue:
1) Is truth absolute?
2) Is truth knowable?
3) Is truth exclusive?

Truth is absolute. Truth has been described as “telling it like it is.” If something is true, it is true for all people everywhere at all times because truth corresponds to its object. To deny absolute truth is self-defeating.

Truth is knowable. Truth about reality is knowable. To deny truth is knowable implies knowledge of the truth which is, once again, self-defeating.

Truth is exclusive. If “A” is true, then “not A” is false. Truth is not dependent on our feelings or preferences. If something is true, it is true whether we like it or not.

Advertisements
Comments
  1. morsec0de says:

“It follows then that all religions cannot be true because they teach opposites. While many religions have true beliefs, the religions themselves cannot all be true because they are mutually exclusive teaching opposites.”

I forget who said it, but someone much smarter than me once said that “All religions can’t be true, but they can all be false.”

Plurality, however, makes it much easier to live with others.

2. Nance says:

You’re absolutely right, it is possible for all religions to be wrong.

But plurality is a truth claim that is just as exclusive and dogmatic. Pluralist think all non-pluralists beliefs are wrong.

I can tolerate other beliefs without validating those beliefs as truth.

3. morsec0de says:

“I can tolerate other beliefs without validating those beliefs as truth.”

Cheers, that’s exactly what I do.

Of course, ‘tolerate’ does not involve keeping my mouth shut when I disagree with people. 😉 Nor should it mean that for you.

4. Nance says:

I really enjoy discussions with you, I always learn something! Thanks for visiting!

5. Rui says:

“To get to the Truth we need facts, and Facts must be truth (or proven)”

6. Nance says:

morsecode-
    I would much rather discuss this with you than some of the “christians” here anyday.

You are far more civil.

7. CeCe Benningfield says:

Ok, my friend….you are getting too deep for me:) Hee Hee. Just read a book on Rahab, my favorite woman in the Bible (besides Esther). The discussions you could have on her, I might understand. Just kidding….

Love!

8. Tracy says:

“To get to the Truth we need facts, and Facts must be truth (or proven)”….

So is LOVE a fact?