How do we know there is a moral law?

Posted: August 29, 2008 in agnosticism, atheism, behavior, Christian, church, education, environment, faith, family, friends, life, Personal, politics, Religion, science, Thoughts, wisdom, women
Tags: , , , , , , ,

We know there is a moral law because:

1.                          absolutes are undeniable. Absolute moral truth is best known by our reactions not our actions.

2.                          we cant know injustice unless we know justice. You can’t know what is wrong unless you know what is right. The reason we know whether a map of Australia is accurate or true is because we have an absolute standard (the country of Australia) by which to measure.

3.                          real moral disagreements imply an objective moral standard. We can debate map A verses map B of Australia, because we have a real unchanging standard to compare them. Without a real unchanging standard of good the difference between Mother Theresa and Hitler is nothing more than a matter of opinion.

4.                          we would not make excuses for doing wrong if there was no moral law. What is the point?

5.                          we wouldn’t know the world was getting worse or better if there was no moral law. Secular humanist love to tell us that the world is so much worse because of religion. How do they know what worse is if they deny a standard of good?

6.                          there would be no human rights without the moral law. There would be no way to judge the Nazis, Saddam Hussein, or other war criminals without a standard beyond government or international law.

Advertisements
Comments
  1. jim says:

Excellent comments on morality. For those who deny Him they will pay the ultimate price!

2. Nance says:

Some might say they just receive more of the same. Seems to me to live eternally without the presence of God/love is hell.

3. morsec0de says:

” absolutes are undeniable.”

Strange that I have, do, and will continue to deny them. With examples if necessary. 🙂

” real moral disagreements imply an objective moral standard. ”

I don’t think so. They imply differing morals that came from different origins.

“Secular humanist love to tell us that the world is so much worse because of religion. How do they know what worse is if they deny a standard of good?”

Do we?

I, as a secular humanist, don’t think the world is worse because of religion. I just think the world would be better without it. Is that the same thing? Not sure.

‘Worse’ and ‘better’ depend on what you’re comparing things to. The world is better off in many ways that it was 100 years ago. In others it is worse.

It isn’t absolute.

I don’t disagree that there is a moral law. I just disagree that there is an absolute moral law.

And I’m pretty certain that humans came up with moral law. Differing ones in differing places.

4. jim says:

Hell is more than isolation form love. Sad for those who deny Him.

5. morsec0de says:

“Hell is more than isolation form love. Sad for those who deny Him.”

Which is exactly why I wouldn’t worship your version of god even if I believed he existed.

6. jim says:

Well good we agree. You choose the path you wish and watch what happens

7. morsec0de says:

I can’t ‘watch’ nothingness, but thanks. 🙂

8. jim says:

you look into the mirror everyday dont you?

9. womanette says:

Although I respect all that you say, may I suggest taking a new look at the world and what God really is?

It’s really important for us all to awaken.

Thanks for your blog also. Yay for women!

10. Nance says:

womanette-
    Did you really leave a message or am I dreaming? Since you have broken out of your trance, why are you still here in our reality making comments on blogs? Or are you . . .

Somebody pinch me!

11. morsec0de says:

“you look into the mirror everyday dont you?”

Cute. Petty insults. How Christian of you.

12. CeCe Benningfield says:

My husband is a police officer so I am THANKFUL there are moral laws that sometimes join with secular ones. My sister is a sex crimes detective and BELIEVE me there are things that fall in the grey area of secular law that are pretty black and white with the moral type of law.

And Morse Code, that was not a Christian comment made to you about the mirror….please know that that does not represent all of us out there. I am thankful you have a Christian friend in Nance (who by the way, is the best friend in the world to have-truthful, loyal to a fault and if nothing else VERY honest) to show you Christian love through a blog.

13. Nance says:

CeCe-
    If you like the discussion we are having here, you’ll love this:

I’ve been blogging at Theologica. One of my discussions have 75 comments so far. Wanna stir it up? Morsecode might even enjoy some of the banter.